Wednesday, January 30, 2008

I was all set to strike out in a new Blog direction – perhaps talk about the perils (to Democrats) of impeachment or the tragedy of Hillary, but there were some interesting points made in people’s comments on post #2 about atheism that I can’t resist responding to. So bear with me, for one more Blog post on atheism.

Lisa and Chrissy both asked a version of the question “is it really that difficult living in America as an atheist?”. For me, it’s not difficult at all. I am what I am and that’s all what I am, etc (notice that my arguments always sound stronger when I quote a great thinker like Popeye). I do have to admit that I tend to downplay my atheism when I’m with people that I don’t know well, or who I know are religious. I do that not to avoid a debate (I find debates delectable, like pistachios or pastrami) but to avoid offending. Back when I was a young whipper-snapper, more prone to shooting my mouth off, I found that people were put off by the very mention of atheism. The times I mentioned it in a group it was followed by an uncomfortable silence, an uneasiness. I’m not sure what was going on there, but nowadays I downplay it except when I’m with close friends (or people who really piss me off).

So why do Americans’ attitudes toward religion and atheists matter? There are two reasons, for me. The first I already covered in post #1. The second is that there’s nothing that Americans hate more than an atheist, not even African-American lesbian Mormons (really). In polls asking Americans who they are least likely to pick to be President, atheists are number 1! (you can read more here : http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2007/07/22/weekinreview/22luo.graphic.ready.html) Americans are less likely to vote for an atheist than an African American. Or a woman. Or a Mormon. Or a Jew. Or a homosexual. Or a Muslim. I don’t understand why not believing in a supreme being is the factor most likely to keep one out of the White House, not when there are so many other, better reasons to not vote for someone. Think how much better off we’d be right now if Americans had this same aversion to bass-fishing Texans who clear brush?

Ronn says that atheists are just as dumb as religious people. That got me to wondering - “is that really true”? I don’t know any dumb atheists, and I do know some dumb religious people (is it possible that I just happen to know the smart atheists?). I did some research (Google makes everything so much easier). It turns out that, as a group, atheists ARE smarter than religious people – by any number of measures. The correlation between non-belief and intelligence (or education) has been studied quite a lot over the past 80 years. Study after study shows that atheists score significantly higher on various IQ tests and have higher levels of education than theists (summaries and references to many of these studies are just below). Not only that, but most scientists are atheists (I was hoping to directly refute Ronn’s other claim – that atheism isn’t based on the scientific method, but I couldn’t find any data for that, so I’m hoping that y’all don’t notice). The data below are interesting, but what they reveal baffles me. Who are these people? Can I meet the college graduates who still believe in satanic possession? Why do more people believe in heaven than believe in hell – aren’t they a matched pair, like shoes? Angels, really?

Scientific American, September 1999 - "Whereas 90% of the general population has a distinct belief in a personal god and a life after death, only 40% of scientists on the B.S. level favor this belief in religion and merely 10 % of those who are considered 'eminent' scientists believe in a personal god or in an afterlife."

Terman, 1959 - Studied group with IQ's over 140. Of men, 10 percent held strong religious belief, of women 18 percent. Sixty-two percent of men and 57 percent of women claimed "little religious inclination" while 28 percent of the men and 23 percent of the women claimed religion was "not at all important."

Pew - A national survey by the Pew Research Center found that 92 percent of respondents who had less than a high school education believed in heaven as a real place, while this dropped to 73 percent for respondents with a postgraduate education. The percentage who accepted hell as an actual place fell from 80 percent for non-high school graduates to 56 percent for persons with a postgraduate education. And the same applies to belief in angels and the devil as materially real beings. Roughly 20 to 30 percent more of the least-educated respondents believe in angels than is true of the most well-educated ones. Possession by the devil is especially steeply graded by education. A recent Gallup poll revealed that a majority (or 56 percent) of the less than high school educated respondents believe that "people on this earth are sometimes possessed by the devil" while only 22 percent of the more than college-educated respondents do.

In 1975, Norman Poythress studied a sample of 234 US college undergraduates, grouping them into relatively homogeneous religious types based on the similarity of their religious beliefs, and compared their personality characteristics. He found that "Literally-oriented religious Believers did not differ significantly from Mythologically-oriented Believers on measures of intelligence, authoritarianism, or racial prejudice. Religious Believers as a group were found to be significantly less intelligent and more authoritarian than religious Skeptics." He used SAT's as a measure of intelligence for this study. [3]

Brown and Love, 1951 A study at the University of Denver compared the IQ test scores and religious beliefs of 613 male and female students. The mean test scores of non-believers was 119 points, and for believers it was 100. The non-believers ranked in the 80th percentile, and believers in the 50th

Nature - 23 July 1998 - A recent survey of members of the National Academy of Sciences showed that 72% are outright atheists, 21% are agnostic and only 7% admit to belief in a personal God.

4 comments:

Cynthia said...

If, in a fit of candidness, I admit to not celebrating christmas, the first question I am always asked is, "Then what DO you celebrate?" The tone is always indicative of respect and interest in what I DO celebrate, but the minute I say, "Nothing" there is total silence. No one knows what to say. No one can relate. No one has any frame of reference. If anyone pipes up at that point it is usually to promote gift giving and warmth and family time, etc, (which I do enjoy, but not in observance of christmas!)

Therefore, I avoid the topic because, although debates about facts are interesting, debates about belief and faith are, by definition, unwinnable, unprovable, based in belief, pointless and generally lead to someone feeling awkward, at the very least. I don't see any need to have that happen, so I duck and run if I need to.

I do agree that the more you are educated, the more you are likely to be exposed to broader ideas and better thinking, and that better thinking abolishes superstition very nicely. I think it is likely that educated people are less likely to be superstitious. IQ may or may not play a part in that. Broadness of experience may have more influence. Then you get into opportunity, wealth or lack thereof, nurture by broader-minded family, etc.

It's all very interesting.

Cynthia said...

According to John's statistics it seems that education and religion, while not mutually exclusive, do tend to be found at opposite ends of the spectrum.

So, I'll pose a question. Is it in society's best interests to foster and promote education (reducing religion) or foster and promote religion (reducing education)?

Ronn F. said...

This is all well and good, but while you are preaching to the converted and whipping yourself into an atheistic lather, momentous events are unfolding around you which you blithely ignore. How come you are not talking about how John McCain and Mitt Romney labeled each other "liberals" ... now thems fightin words. Or what about the imminent trade of Johan Santana to the Mets. These are the topics of day.

pcs said...

Excellent post, John. Enlightening statistics. I, too, have heard that bit about people not wanting an atheist as president, and I just don't get it. What is the fear there? This goes back to your first blog...where in the constitution is it required to belong to a religion? If I am ever forced to join a religion (say President Huckabee gets a new law passed), I would join the Unitarian Universalists, as they embody one of the things that I believe is really valuable about relgion: fellowship. It can be a positive and powerful reinforcer of my wavering beliefs of the goodness of humanity. It can also lead to cultism and mass hysteria.
I agree with Cynthia, too, that broadness of experience is more likely to lead to lack of superstition than mere IQ. If you've rubbed shoulders with people from all parts of the world or from a wide range of beliefs, it's really difficult to view things from only one perspective as valid...in the case of religion, things contradict and the 'superstitiousness' of it becomes embarrassingly apparent (but what about Graham Greene???). I work with some very smart people who have led narrow lives, and it shows in many of their views on race, religion, hygiene etc (they are all very sterile people). Is it just that people have had limited experience or is there also a decided lack of imagination? Which brings me to Cynthia's question. Obviously I'm against suppressing education in favor of religion (I am not an egomaniacal wanna-be world leader), but is there a way of fostering imagination and experience? I don't think so. I guess integration and some of the more "world-focused" educational trends have helped some...at least planted some seeds. If elected president, I will ban television and fashion magazines and require community service and reading of books. I, of course, will be president in Bhutan, but hey, I could really enjoy that. Meanwhile, I'm going to re-read Brothers karamazov for more religious thought provocation.
As to what is really important, Ronn, I'm thrilled that Santana has been traded to the Mets and will not be facing Red Sox pitchers on a regular basis.
~Polly